Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Keep Calm Craft On {crafting on}

The act of creating, in one form or another, preserves my sanity amongst the chaos of life. This explains why I always have more than one project going at a time as well as why my housework tends to fall behind. I enjoy seeing what others are working on and keeping calm with, too. What are you creating? What is keeping you going? Snap a picture or two and share it with the rest of us by leaving your link below.

KCCO KCCO - experimental sewing
I have the honor of test knitting another one of my friend Katherine's beautiful knitting designs. Remember her lovely Martinmas sweater? It's still one of our favorites. Her latest creation is the Blossom tee, and I will be knitting the size six which means that C will be the lucky recipient. I am hoping to wind my yarn and start on it tonight while indulging in an episode of Shark Wranglers.

I also have a little sewing going on. I wanted to make a shirt to go with Little L's surfer shorts. I can't decide if I am butchering some rare Heather Ross fabric or if I might pull off something cute. We'll have to see!

In unrelated news -
Imagine legally adopting a child from another country. Imagine doing all of the required steps, checking all of the right boxes, and hearing the news that your adopted child is finally legally ready to join your family! Now imagine you are told that while the child is yours in every legal way, you cannot bring your child home to the US.

This is the reality for the parents of more than 350 children legally adopted from the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), including my friend Erin that I posted about a couple of months back. These orphaned children have families in the US waiting, but they cannot come home to them because of the imposition of a ban on exit permissions by the DRC government. While all adoption requirements have been fulfilled, these children cannot leave the DRC until this ban is lifted.

In addition to the 350 children ready to come home to their adoptive families, there are more than 400 children in the process of adoption, many of whom will soon be added to the list of children unable to come into their American families until the ban on exit permissions is lifted.
50 American families whose adopted children are currently stuck in DRC will be meeting with over 100 Members of Congress on June 24 and 25 to urge further Congressional involvement in helping these children to come home and to resolve this urgent human rights crisis.

"Both Ends Burning" is organizing a candlelight vigil with these families on the Senate-Side Lawn of the Capitol (across from the Supreme Court Building) on Tuesday, June 24, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

We would be honored if you would join us and the adoptive families to honor the children waiting... and to remember those child angels for whom the wait was just too long.

Tonight at 6:00 pm we are lighting a candle for all the children and families in the DRC. Won't you join us?

What are you working on?! Happy creating!

Share/Bookmark
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...